Information on Conway Stewart pens and pencils

In case you have not found it, here is the link to the late Jonathon Donahaye’s website on Conway Stewart, that is included in the resources section of the WES Website.

Additional information may also be found on my old personal website. The site has been dormant for a number of years, so please ignore any prices found and I no longer have many of these pens, but it might help in identification of a Conway Stewart or Le Tigre pen or pencil.

Regards

David Wells

Comments

• edited May 10

• edited May 10

Hi Ian

First, congratulations on acquiring your first Conway Stewart Safety pen.

The knob at the rear is connected to a spiral cut shaft, which engages on a pin fitted to a shaft on the end of the nib holder, so when the knob is turned, the nib ejects and retracts.

Check out this video on the Waterman Safety mechanism, which is virtually identical.

https://youtu.be/njCD7k3hIQc

Regards

David

• Hi Davi

Many thanks for your reply and very useful information. I realised after I had posted my comment here that I should have started a new discussion which I now have.

I’ll certainly check out the video. One question - I guess you fill the pen with an eyedropper once the nib is retracted? If so, should you then eject the nib And keep it ejected to seal in the ink and stop leaks?

Cheers

Ian

• Hi Ian

Yes, you use an eyedropper to fit it with the nib retracted, but you MUST keep it reacted when you fit the cap. The cap itself seals the ink in, the nib section seals the ink in when the nib is out, but if you try to fit the cap with the nib out, you WILL damage the nib!

David

• Hi David

Thanks again for the information. I’ve also just watched the Waterman Safety mechanism video which explains how it all works so I guess now I’m and ‘expert” ha ha.

Thanks again

Ian

• Have found his work extremely informative over the years but have recently come across a 500M wood grain In my collection but cannot find reference to it anywhere. Probably my poor searching skills - or is this a newbie?!

• No list will be 100% complete, as there are always the oddities that come to light after publishing any list!

Conway Stewart are notorious for using the same numbers for different models. Also, it is not unknown for pens to be poorly impressed with model numbers, leading to confusion. Any records that may have existed on models numbers, including any prototype models, were apparently destroyed during WWII, when their London factory was bombed.

Sometimes you can use the pen dimensions to identify the most likely published model number that an unpublished model number maybe based on.

Enjoy investigating further, and well done for finding such an anomaly.

Why not post a photo or 2 for us to all enjoy.

• Thanks. I remember a shout-out for model numbers many years back so appreciate it’s a never-ending task. Still learning the forum ropes but will certainly try to post photos at some stage.